Musings about FP and CS

A log of my journey through FP and CS

web2day - powered by Hakyll - part 1

by Clement Delafargue on April 3, 2013

Tagged as: hakyll, web2day.

This post is the first part of web2day - powered by Hakyll.

Yesterday, the site for the Web2Day 2013 was released. It’s by far the biggest, most complex website I’ve built with hakyll.

You can see the result here: http://web2day-nantes.org

Kudos to the team:

This site is different from what I had done with hakyll in many regards, where it’s roughly 1 markdown file -> 1 html file, plus some indexing (index, tags, …). In this case, one markdown file can be linked to many others, and the metadata play a great role. Some pages pull content from other input files at compile time. In fact, I had to split the haskell in four files to keep it readable.

I’ve had a lot of fun building this site and I’ve learned a lot in the process. I’ll cover what I’ve learned in a series of articles.

Basic knowledge of Hakyll is needed if you want to understand everything. You can read the hakyll tutorials to gain a basic understanding of how things work.

The structure

The web2day is built around a series of events. Each event has a topic and one or more speakers.

The site has one page per speaker (+ one page listing all speakers), one page per event (+ one page listing all events) and one page per topic (+ one page listing all topics.

The page about a speakers lists the events he’s part of, the page about an event lists its speakers and topic and the page about a topic lists its events.

Additionally, there are a few standalone pages (partners, general information…), a blog part (articles + index) and a contributors part (pages + index).

There are standalone blocks shared on several pages. It’d be too cumbersome to inject them from the haskell, so I’ve created a helper function called directly from the templates.

All the content is both in French and English. The French content is at the root of the generated site, the English content is in /en.

How it’s done

The main site.hs file contains only rules definitions. Content-generating functions are in RouteFactories.hs and LinkedCompilers.hs. There is a Utils.hs file for unrelated generic functions.

Languages

Keeping it DRY

The content is split between /fr and /en. The available langs are in an array and fr is stored as the default language. Since the content is generated in the same way from French and English, let’s abstract it away:

forM_ langs $ \lang ->
    match (fromGlob $ lang ++ "/blocks/*.md") $ do
    compile pandocCompiler

One thing to note: the pattern isn’t a string literal anymore, so OverloadedStrings is not able to turn it into a Pattern, you have to do it yourself.

Putting fr at the root.

By default, French content would be put in /fr. To lift it to the route, I use gsubRoute:

langRoute = gsubRoute (defaultLang ++ "/") (const "")

I just have to compose the routes like so:

route $ (setExtension "html") `composeRoutes` langRoute

Switching languages

Assuming that the title of the pages are the same in French and English (big assumption, I know), I just have either to remove the leading /en (if the page is in English) or to add it (if the page is in French).

Abstracting over common structure

Contributors and blog posts share the same structure: a page for every item and an index page which lists all items.

For instance, for the contributors

  • every file is compiled to {/,/en}/contributors/<name>.html with the template contributor.html
  • the index page is generated to {/,/en}/contributors.html with the template contributors-page.html
  • every item is the index page is generated with the template contributor-item.html

With the help of a few naming conventions, it’s easy to abstract it away, and only provide contributors and contributor. The rest is automatically derived:

makeElementsWithContext ctx plural singular lang = let
        bigCtx = ctx `mappend` (globalContext lang)
    in
        match (fromGlob $ lang ++ "/"++ plural ++"/*.md") $ do
            route $ (setExtension "html") `composeRoutes` langRoute
            compile $ pandocCompiler
                >>= loadAndApplyTemplate (
                    fromFilePath $ "templates/"++ singular ++".html") bigCtx
                >>= loadAndApplyTemplate "templates/default.html" bigCtx
                >>= relativizeUrls

makeElements = makeElementsWithContext mempty

makeIndexPage plural singular lang =
    create [fromFilePath (lang ++ "/"++ plural ++".html")] $ do
        route $ (setExtension "html") `composeRoutes` langRoute
        compile $ do
            let elts =
                    field plural (\_ -> elementList lang plural singular) `mappend`
                    globalContext lang
                tplName = fromFilePath ("templates/" ++ plural ++ "-page.html")

            makeItem ""
                >>= loadAndApplyTemplate tplName elts
                >>= loadAndApplyTemplate "templates/default.html" (globalContext lang)
                >>= relativizeUrls

The ability to provide a custom context will be useful for the speakers, events and topics pages whose contents vary widely. globalContext is a minimal context which contains lots of additional information, I’ll cover it later.

So in site.hs, everything is tidy:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Posts
--

    forM_ langs $ makeIndexPage "posts" "post"

    forM_ langs $ makeElements "posts" "post"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Contributors
--

    forM_ langs $ makeIndexPage "contributors" "contributor"

    forM_ langs $ makeElements "contributors" "contributor"

Next time, I’ll talk about how the standalone pages and the shared blocks work.

comments powered by Disqus